My Blog List

Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Intentions

-->
Good Intentions

Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
“‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.” Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.” “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”
But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same.” Matthew 26:31-35 NIV

            Well, we have made it to Good Friday.  The very day on which Jesus Christ was hung on a cross and died, all to make sure we have a relationship with God. That’s a very simplistic way to put it, but you get the idea.  It is a good Friday, only because we know about Sunday.  If we were living during the actual events, it may not have been such a good Friday.  It would have been awful, actually.  It would have been the day that you watched your teacher, mentor, friend and Lord get beaten, bloodied, bruised and nailed to a tree for all to see and treated like a criminal. All the while, you know that he did nothing wrong.  You watched him love people in a way that was amazing.  You saw him perform miracles that blew your mind.  You watched as he stood up to the bully religious leaders in the towns and put them in their place.  This is your homie.  Your friend.  Your confidant.  And to top it off, you are one of the ones that he chose to spend the last three years of his life with.  He chose you.  Such an honor.  This is the man you think you would give your life for, basically because you know he would do the same.  As a matter of fact, he is going to give his life for you.  But at this moment, you are not ready to do the same.  You just think you are. 
            When Jesus held the Passover meal with his disciples, he knew them better than they knew themselves.  He knew that when the time to be crucified was to come, his buddies would be nowhere to be found.  He knew that he was going to be lonely.  He knew that this was something he had to do alone.  But the disciples didn’t know that.  I think maybe it is because they could not fathom what Jesus was talking about when he kept telling them that he was going to die.  Maybe they figured that Jesus could escape death, like he did when he was about to be stoned before and just slipped through the crowd.  Maybe they figured that nobody could get past their entourage of disciples who thought they were pretty tough.  Maybe they thought they were so down for the cause that they could take a stoning like a champ.  But could they have ever imagined that the man who walked on water, gave sight to the blind and cast out demons could ever be taken down by anybody?  I don’t think they were ready to see that.  It’s hard to watch someone you admire, love and respect go through a completely vulnerable moment.  Sometimes it’s too much.  You can’t bear to watch.  And this is what happened to the disciples.  They couldn’t bear to watch.  So they abandoned Jesus in his final hours, just like he knew they would.
            I don’t think any of them would have thought that they would leave Jesus for any reason.  They had no reason to. They had stuck with him through so much already.   What could have possibly made them abandon him now?  In our minds, we are a lot tougher than we are in reality.  In my mind I can take a lot.  I can gear myself up to handle anything I can imagine.  But then the rubber meets the road, and the truth of who I am comes out.  And I’m not as tough as I think I am.  I’m not as loyal as I think I am.  I’m not as committed as I think I am.  Even though I want to be.  I have every intention of being the best everything I can be in life.  Even the best Christian.  In my head, if there was ever a time when I would have to defend my faith before a firing squad or under severe persecution, I think I’d be all about it.  I love Jesus.  I could not see myself denying my faith in Him.  But I’ve never been in that situation before, so the truth is I don’t know.  Even though I have seen Jesus’ miracles in my life, the power of believing in him, I don’t know if I would ever deny him.  I just hope I wouldn’t.  But there is no guarantee. 
            I think we need to approach our faith with a little more humility than we do.  I hear people talk all the time about not being ashamed of Jesus and standing up for the Word.  But truthfully, what I normally see is people standing up for their own ideas of morality, not for Jesus.  The person of Jesus, when the rubber meets the road, is what we need to be able to stand for. Not just our ideas of what that means.  I mean the man Jesus, who was innocent of any crime and is being persecuted for you.  The one who is your hero, but is completely vulnerable right now.  Can you even look at that?  Can you just be there for him in this moment?  His original disciples couldn’t.  What makes you think you are any better?  Why are you so tough?  You haven’t even seen what they saw and somehow you think you won’t abandon Jesus when times get tough?  I hope I’m not that arrogant.  I know it’s in me to walk away.  But I also know that it’s in Jesus to forgive me for it.  Walking away won’t destroy me, but it will make me feel bad. But I can’t let it keep me from moving forward.  All of the disciples, with the exception of John walked away from the cross.  But they all came back to Jesus.  I find it interesting that John was the only disciple not to be martyred.  I wonder if his ability to see the cross up close and personal gave him a pass on being martyred later.  I’m just speculating. Don’t preach that. But have some humility when it comes to saying that you won't deny Jesus.  Jesus already knows if you will or not.  Peter was adamant about his commitment.  But he was also recorded as having denied Jesus three times.  I wouldn't be so adamant if I were you.  Just say, "Lord, you know." And in time, I'm sure you'll have a chance to really prove it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment