My Blog List

Monday, March 25, 2013

KIngdom Come

-->
Kingdom Come

“Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. “ Matthew 21:18-19 NIV

            It’s the day after Palm Sunday.  I was sitting at my computer and realized it had been months since I’d written a blog post.  Sorry about that.  I’ve had so many other projects going on that this one got neglected.  No real excuse though.  But I wanted to make up for it by posting during Holy Week.  This is arguably one of the most important weeks in the Christian calendar.  It’s the week leading up to the resurrection.  A time when we celebrate the miracle of a man being brutally murdered on a cross, buried and then coming back to life again.  We worship Jesus for that.  But this whole week leading up to Resurrection Sunday was filled with events.  I wanted to look at scripture and follow some of these events as my own personal devotion this week.  I just happen to invite you all in to join me. 
            Today, I was disturbed by something I read.  After Palm Sunday, where all the people were singing Jesus’ praises and waving palm branches and pronouncing him the Son of David, Jesus does some things.  The above scripture says that he went into the city and was hungry, so he looked to a fig tree to get something to eat.  When he found that the tree didn’t have any figs on it, he cursed it and the tree withered.  Seems kind of unfair to me.  Especially because at that time of the year, figs were not supposed to even be on the tree.  The fig tree was doing what it was supposed to do at that time of the year.  It had leaves on it.  What was Jesus’ problem? Why was he so angry at the tree? Was he letting the hype of the people from the day before get to his ego and he just went around exercising his authority in places all over the city?  Just the day before, Matthew says that he cleared out the moneychangers in the temple, chasing them with whips.  Was Jesus smelling himself? 
            I was disturbed by this, as I mentioned, so I called a friend to talk about it.  It was in verbalizing this scene that I started to understand something about why Jesus got upset.  And it also convicted me at the same time.  When Jesus shows up, seasons don’t matter.  Whatever the natural course of activity is in a particular place is irrelevant when the creator of it is present.  When eternity breaks through time, time must bow down to it.  Eternity is greater than time, not the other way around. 
            For the fig tree to not have bowed to Jesus’ authority, but to continue on its natural path, it was irreverent. Whatever plans the fig tree had of continuing to let its leaves shine until a few months from then when the editable fruit appeared should have been adjusted.  Time and seasons are like a babysitter, waiting on the kingdom of God to appear.  And in Jesus, it does appear.  But the fig tree didn’t get that memo.  And so, it was cursed. 
            Jesus wasn’t ego trippin’ when he did this.  He was just being himself.  And because he knew who he was, he knew that he held a certain authority that the fig tree was not agreeable to.  The scripture said that Jesus was hungry.  He had a need.  And there was a perfect opportunity for the fig tree to provide for that need, but the fig tree was busy with its own agenda.  It was in the middle of its green leaf season, not its fig producing season.  Even when the author of time was present. 
            Let this be a reminder to us all.  We are created to bear fruit, so when the creator shows up, we can fill needs. You were created for a purpose.  If you are too busy on your own natural course of action to recognize who is before you, it is only mercy that keeps you from being cursed, never to produce fruit again.  Jesus will show up and interrupt whatever you are doing in life and regardless of what your plans were, they need to adjust.  The kingdom has come to you and has need of you.  It is an honor to be asked by God to do anything, especially to feed him or his sheep. 
            I said that this convicted me.  It did.  Because I realize that Jesus is always with me.  So, what right do I have to create my own plans based on what I feel a natural course of action should be at this time in my life?  God can break into time at any moment and introduce me to eternity, which is bound by nothing.  He gives women babies at 90, impregnates virgins, raises people from the dead, parts seas, rains down food, heals sick people, gives sight to blind people and a whole host of other stuff.  If Jesus shows up, forget what should naturally happen in this moment.  The kingdom of God is here!  And let us not forget that I am writing this on a snowy March 25th day in Philadelphia when most people say we are supposed to be enjoying the beginning of spring.  Maybe these little weather anomalies are another reminder.  The kingdom has come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment