My Blog List

Monday, September 19, 2011

Jehova Jireh? My Provider

Jehova Jireh? My Provider.


“I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:18-19 NIV

One of the hardest parts of living by faith in your finances is getting used to the reshaping of your mindset. If you are, like me, used to living in a condition of surplus, then living according to your needs being met is a real challenge. It’s not even that I had a whole bunch of money before, but it was certainly more than I have now. I don’t even think I recognized how much surplus I had until I didn’t have it anymore. I was used to working on a budget, putting some money away for savings and investing, giving, traveling, going out with friends, giving gifts, all with my paycheck. But now, I have no regular paycheck. I get money at random times for various clients that come through at the times when I need it. And usually it has nothing to do with me doing any advertising for them. They just come. Now, if I didn’t know where I was spiritually at this point in my life, I would probably quit school, focus exclusively on my business and get back to the place where I was more comfortable. And believe me, it’s tempting. But God does show me where He has me at this moment, so I continuously fight the temptation. And I also know that this is just a season.
Paul was speaking to the Philippian church about his own financial condition in the above passage. He was living off of the money he made from making tents and whatever else he needed from the support for the churches he started in various towns or cities. He never really put the burden of supporting him on the people, but the Philippians gave out of their hearts for taking care of Paul and his needs. Paul said in the previous verses that he had learned to get along with means and also to get along without them, and one thing he had come to realize is that he can do all things through Christ who strengthened him. That’s what that scripture means. Whether Paul had a lot or a little, he could survive and be content with where he was at the moment. God was his true source, and God touched the hearts of people to help Paul when he needed it. And for that, Paul prayed that God would give them all they needed. Their concern for him was genuine and even though they were not the richest church that Paul helped to start, their kindness and generosity was unmatched. And the people who gave touched Paul’s heart.
I have received so much from people during this time in my life. And it always comes when I need it. Whether it is a service I provided through financial planning or just a person choosing to give me a gift, I am truly grateful. And I have learned how to get along with means and how to get along without. And I, too, know that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I pray a special blessing over those who have helped me in any way during this time. Those who have chosen to bless me as I bless others, and those who God has laid on my heart to bless, even when I think I am so broke. I have still been able to give to others. I have not missed a thing. As a matter of fact, I have done even more now then I did when I had a paycheck. So hopefully this encourages others to truly learn to trust God in their financial situation, whatever it may be. If you have means, don’t put your life in it, but learn to share freely. If you don’t have means, learn to see the provision of God in this place, and you will be able to handle it even if He chooses to take you out of that place into a season of abundance. But Christ gives you the strength to do it all. And if you don’t have it then maybe you don’t actually need it the way you think you do. That is something else I’m learning. Just because I want to take care of it financially right now doesn’t mean that I need to. God is still in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment