My Blog List

Monday, September 12, 2011

You Have a Song

You Have a Song

“Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth. Sing to the LORD, praise his name;
proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.” Psalm 96:1 NIV

Last winter, when we had our crazy blizzard conditions, I was outside shoveling the snow. I had my iPod on and was listening to a great song I love by Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir called, “Wonderful to Me”. The song is just a simple song of adoration and worship to God, but it is extremely soothing. You can feel the love that the singer has towards God. It invites you into their intimacy and calls you to embrace your own intimacy with God. A good worship song is supposed to do that for you. To take you into a deeper place with God. A place where all is well.
But as I continued to listen to the song, I started thinking about my own words and what I actually want to say to God when I’m in that place with Him. I started thinking about my own song. I have an intimate relationship with God. I have things that I can sing about. (Not necessarily sing them well, but it is heartfelt). It’s nice to listen to the words of other people and their relationship with God, but we have our own words. You have a song that you can sing to God that reflects who He is to you. And it’s a song that no one else can sing like you.
When we think of intimate relationships, we know that those relationships are precious. People that we are intimate with know things about us that no one else knows. We share things with them in a way that is special. We might have private jokes, or sayings that only the other person understands. We might have nick-names for each other that no one else quite gets and you don’t want everybody calling you that name. It’s reserved for those special people in your life with whom you share intimate details of yourself. It’s the beauty of having intimacy. To know that there is another person on this earth that is so close to you that they know a lot of what you know about you, and sometimes more. And this is the relationship we have with God, if we go there.
Maybe some of us don’t want to go there with God because we feel unworthy to be invited into that type of intimacy. Maybe we have done things that we are ashamed of and don’t want to be exposed. But the beauty of having that relationship with God is that none of it matters. He already forgave you, before you even knew you needed to be forgiven. He forgave you so that you could be intimate with Him. Anybody you are intimate with probably has had to forgive you or you forgive them at some point. It’s one of the prices of intimacy. You know too much. You can be your full self, the good, bad and ugly. But this intimacy is energizing. And it can make you want to sing!
When I finished my shoveling that day, I wrote a song to God. I’m not going to write it out here. It was just for Him, unless He tells me to share it with others. It’s not the first time I’ve written a song or a poem to God. But it was a reminder that I can get all enamored with someone else’s song, but I do have one of my own as well. I wrote another one about a month ago and actually put that one to music. Maybe I’ll share that one day or give it to a musician to turn into something, but I was happy just to have my own song. And I’m sure you do too. I’m sure you can think of something to praise God for today. You have a song. Just the fact that He calls someone like you to be in intimate relationship with Him is worthy of something! You don’t have to be a songwriter to do this. You just have to be in relationship. If you have ever been in love before, you probably did something that seemed stupid to express it; a poem, a song, a rap. We have all probably come out of ourselves for love at some point. The same is true in our relationship with God. How about you show God just how you feel about Him today. Even if it starts out with anger or hurt or frustration. At least it’s honest. And it’s how you feel. Not someone else. And that is what God wants. An honest relationship. Can you write God a song today?

No comments:

Post a Comment